Wednesday, September 19, 2018

My Son Excelled In Math After Going To This Math Tuition Centre In Singapore


Math can be an overwhelming subject. Even for an accounting graduate like me, it’s a difficult subject to understand.

While learning math by yourself could be easy if you take the time to understand it, it’s very difficult to teach others the subject if you’re not trained well enough. This is especially true for kids in secondary school are just starting to grasp the complicated principles of mathematics.

Because I’m an accountant for a company here in Singapore, my son often approaches me when he is having trouble understanding math problems. It was easy to teach the basic principles when he was in grade school, but now that he’s advanced to secondary school and is learning more complicated mathematics, it’s becoming difficult to help him understand the different principles of math.


Because I was already having a hard time teaching him (and it looks like he was having a hard time with me, too) I decided to look for a math tuition centre in Singapore that he can attend to. I asked a few colleagues at work if they know any tuition centre close to my son’s school.

That’s when my office mate suggested Flipside Education Hub which she saw online when she was looking for a maths tuition in Singapore for her nephew.

I asked for their website and decided to check it out. I was interested in their unusual “flipped classroom pedagogy” which is a student-centred approach to teaching. According to their website, former Minister of Education Heng Swee Keat affirmed the value of the flipped classroom approach and that prominent universities in Singapore have started adopting this teaching style in their curriculum incrementally.

After doing thorough research, I was convinced that it would be a good idea to let him attend their classes. Fortunately, they offer a free trial so that their tutors can assess the child’s learning needs and how the teaching method will be able to help the child.

My son attended the secondary 2 class on mathematics during the free trial. He said that there were only 5 of them in the class and that the instructor was able to attend to each of his and his classmate’s questions properly. They also watched educational videos about the math subject they were covering which taught the application of the formulas and variables in an easy-to-understand manner.

After the trial period, my son showed significant improvement in mathematics. He rarely approached me for his math problems and was able to answer his assignments and quizzes with ease. Because of his improvements, I consulted my husband about pushing through with enrolling our son to Flipside. We both agreed that it would help him better and decided to push through with it.

Now, he’s attending the maths tuition classes and is enjoying it. He often sees my office mate’s nephew who is taking secondary 1 English classes and they have become good friends. I’m really thankful for Flipside and their unconventional teaching methods for helping my son with math.

No comments:

Post a Comment